Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,190 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians Recap: The Family Is Outraged over Caitlyn Jenner's Vanity Fair Article, Kris Jenner Decides to Leave Town
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Donald Trump and Family!
- Alfonso Ribeiro to Fill in for Tom Bergeron on DWTS While He Stays by Sick Father's Bedside: Source
- Caleb Logan of the Popular YouTube Family the Bratayleys Has Died at the Age of 13
- It's a Girl for Alaska: The Last Frontier's Eivin and Eve Kilcher – See Her First Photo
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 12, 1993
- Vol. 39
- No. 14
In Death, as in Life, Action Star Brandon Lee Is Linked to the Legend of His Late Father, Bruce
The film's macabre plot was ominous in itself: A rock musician, played by Lee, returns from the dead to avenge his own murder. On March 31, shortly after midnight, Lee was filming a scene in which his character is shot. In a blaze of gunfire, Lee slumped to the floor. But this wasn't acting. Though the gun contained blanks, which usually fire harmlessly, a metallic fragment had somehow lodged in his spine after ripping through his abdomen and causing massive bleeding.
For five hours doctors at the New Hanover Regional Medical Center, a few miles from the set, tried to stop the hemorrhaging. But by the time Brandon's fiancée, casting assistant Lisa Hutton, 29, arrived at the hospital later that morning, Lee was already close to death. Linda Lee, 46, Brandon's mother and Bruce's widow, wasn't able to reach Wilmington before he was pronounced dead at 1:04 p.m. Lee and Hutton had been scheduled to wed April 17. "She is gorgeous, very wise and wonderful," he had said just a few weeks ago.
While Bruce Lee had no formal dramatic training. Brandon had attended Boston's arts-oriented Emerson College and studied acting in New York City. But Brandon inherited his dad's love of danger. At home he had been known to race his motorcycle down L.A.'s steep, winding Mulholland Drive—without a helmet. "If I want to put my head in a brick wall, it's my business," he said. Onscreen he did most of his own stunts. Yet he was presciently leery of special-effects scenes, once observing, "There's always an ambulance standing by just in case."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!