Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- So, Has Rosie Perez Met a White Man Who Can Jump?
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin: Inside Our Wedding
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals Her Baby's Name & More Weekend News
- Celebri-lattes! Amazing Coffee Art of Taylor Swift, Nick Jonas & Other Stars
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday December 21, 2014 08:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 03, 1993
- Vol. 39
- No. 17
Jemison, 36, has long strived to go where few have gone before. Reared in Chicago, the youngest of three children of a teacher and a maintenance supervisor, she earned her chemical engineering degree at Stanford and her M.D. at Cornell. After 2½ years as a Peace Corps doctor in Africa and two years in private practice in L.A., she was accepted in NASA's training program in 1987, one of 15 chosen from nearly 2,000 applicants. Her mission now accomplished, Jemison quit NASA last March and plans to launch a company that will help bring advanced technology to underdeveloped countries. But even the full-blast, unmarried Houstonite needs to fire her retro-rockets occasionally. In late May she'll make a cameo appearance on Star Trek: The Next Generation, which is right in character. "Life is what your creator gave you for free," Jemison has said. "Style is what you do with it."
December 20, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!