Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- See the First Photos of Harry Potter's Grown-Up Family in the Upcoming Play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- A Birkin Bag Just Sold for More Than $300,000 at Auction, Making It the Most Expensive Handbag – Ever!
- Emergency Obsessed or Hot Mess: Kendall Jenner's Towering Topknot Has Reached Whoville Heights
- Mario Batali's Tomato & Chorizo Spaghetti Is a Weeknight Dinner Dream
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 12, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 2
Minor in the Majors
A 12-Year-Old Tv Sports Reporter Goes One-on-One with the Big Guys
The producer discovered Maria in June 1992 when he interviewed her after a kids' slam-dunk contest in which she took part. "What impressed me," he says, "was that she had the poise and confidence to ham it up. That's what you need."
Gallagher suggested that Maria be given a regular spot reporting children's sports activities, and starting last September she has been doing two or three pieces a week. Soon, though, she began to broaden her coverage, interviewing such grown-up stars as Michael Jordan (she asked him if he got the basketball blues at season's end), Pittsburgh Pirates centerfielder Andy Van Slyke and Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly. During her chat with His Airness—in the locker room after a Cleveland Cavaliers game—Maria was much taken with NBA sneaker size. "I could get both of my feet into one shoe," she says.
Maria, whose parents operate a formal-wear shop, is a straight-A student at St. Andrews Catholic School in Erie. Although she has always wanted to be a dermatologist, she is starling to think about a career in TV, and her parents are negotiating a syndicated half-hour kids' interview show.
Maria is already developing the sangfroid of a celebrity. She was in New York City for an appearance on Good Morning America when she met 11-year-old Zachery Bryan (Brad on Home Improvement), who invited her to a taping of his show. Did she develop a little crush, maybe? Maria crinkles her nose. "He's my pen pal," she says. "I don't drool over anybody."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!