Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mama June Shannon Mad Over TLC's 'Double Standard' for Not Canceling 19 Kids and Counting
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Teen Mom Beats the Odds, Becomes Valedictorian (Video)
- Nikki Reed Shares Romantic Wedding Day Video Full of Kisses with Ian Somerhalder
- Texas Woman Rescues Seven People from Flood: 'Fear Wasn't Going to Serve Anyone in that Moment'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 28, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 16
Beam Her to Barcelona?
Olympic Hopeful Kim Zmeskal Conquers the Worlds
There's at least one other difference between Kim and her peers—and that also involves getting things right: At 15, she's the best female gymnast on the planet. Last month at the World Gymnastics Championships in Indianapolis, Kim combined painstaking perfectionism with explosive athletic skills to win the women's all-around title. No American woman—Kim's idol, Mary Lou Retton, included—had ever finished higher than seventh at the World Championships.
Zmeskal, the oldest of three children, began training with gymnast kingpin Bela Karolyi at age 6. Since her parents both work—Clarice, her mother, is employed as a contract analyst at Mobil, and David, her father, is manager of a welding-products store—she went every where with her baby-sitter, whose daughter was a gymnast. "I used to have to go up [to Karolyi's gym] and watch," says Kim. "So I decided to try it."
Nowadays, Kim works out six hours a day, which doesn't leave much time for friends or school (she now studies by correspondence) eleven for basking in her new status as an Olympic gold-medal hopeful in Barcelona next summer. "It's weird," she says. "When people say I'm world champion, it doesn't seem possible." She pauses, then giggles. "But I guess I am."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!