Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Model Chanel Iman Makes Screen Debut in Cannes Hip-Hop Film Dope: 'I've Always Prayed That I'd Be Here Promoting a Film'
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- 20 Coffee Shops in America You Have to Visit
- Woman Sees Dead Brother's Face on Another Man for First Time After Face Transplant
- Laverne Cox Posts Makeup-Free Selfie (in Super-Revealing Swimsuit to Boot)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 09, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 22
Catting the Belle
Mary in Schwartz Tells What's Not Done in Dixie
The unmarried Schwartz, 47, was raised in Mobile, Ala., the daughter of an accountant, and studied English at the University of Georgia. She went to work as a reporter in Mobile, joining the Dallas paper in 1969. ("I've covered everything from the Super Bowl to the Gary Gilmore execution," she says. "At both, people were yelling, 'Kill him! Kill him!' ")
During two years of interviewing belles for her book, she says, "I realized that I had some of the same traits." In fact, belledom is more a state of mind than a social pedigree, though certain cultural signals do help you know one when you see one. The Primer describes a world in which a woman may be ostracized for putting dark meat in her chicken salad or scarred by failing to pledge the right sorority. It's a world in which family is all. The night the U.S. first bombed Baghdad. Schwartz says, a belle friend called to ask whether the State Department spokeswoman, Margaret Tutwiler, "was one of the Birmingham Tutwilers or one of the Montgomery Tutwilers." Says Schwartz with amazement: "That's all she wanted to know, right in the middle of World War III."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!