Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- John Legend Introduces Baby Luna to His Grandmother in a Sweet Instagram Photo
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Kourtney Kardashian Wishes 'Baby Daddy' Scott Disick a Happy 33rd Birthday – See Her TBT Photo
- What Does the Inspector General's Report on Hillary Clinton's Emails Really Mean?
- Sam Claflin Spills About Behind-the-Scenes Pranks With Me Before You Co-star Emilia Clarke: 'I Made Her Think I Was Deeply Offended'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 30, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 25
A Russian Samson Faces Down Rebellion and Shakes His Country's Foundations
For no sooner had he saved the Soviet Union than he set about shattering it. Using his position as president of the Russian Republic, Yeltsin launched a crackdown on the Communist Party and introduced a plan for a sweeping overhaul of the ramshackle economy. By the end of the year an astonished world looked on as he blithely began dismantling the Kremlin's empire. What had taken nearly three quarters of a century of repression to create and hold together he undid in a matter of weeks. Gorbachev fumed at the rise of his nemesis but was powerless to stop him. The course Yeltsin had charted held many risks, not the least of them being severe food shortages and the potential for chaos as the republics—four of which have most of the Soviet nuclear arsenal stored within their borders—scramble to put in place a new commonwealth system. But as his actions during the coup suggest, for Yeltsin the audacious has become merely routine.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!