Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: See Joanna Krupa's Egg-Retrieval Procedure
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- It's Another Girl for Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell!
- Which Former Boy Band Member Will Compete on The Amazing Race?
- Kim Kardashian Wore Fur-Lined Strappy Stilettos, and Yes, There are Photos
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday December 20, 2014 06:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 30, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 25
A Russian Samson Faces Down Rebellion and Shakes His Country's Foundations
For no sooner had he saved the Soviet Union than he set about shattering it. Using his position as president of the Russian Republic, Yeltsin launched a crackdown on the Communist Party and introduced a plan for a sweeping overhaul of the ramshackle economy. By the end of the year an astonished world looked on as he blithely began dismantling the Kremlin's empire. What had taken nearly three quarters of a century of repression to create and hold together he undid in a matter of weeks. Gorbachev fumed at the rise of his nemesis but was powerless to stop him. The course Yeltsin had charted held many risks, not the least of them being severe food shortages and the potential for chaos as the republics—four of which have most of the Soviet nuclear arsenal stored within their borders—scramble to put in place a new commonwealth system. But as his actions during the coup suggest, for Yeltsin the audacious has become merely routine.
December 20, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!