Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Friendly Exes! Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato Sing Their Duet 'Gotta Find You' at Her Washington D.C. Concert
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Planning State Dinners and Easter Egg Roll – DNC Delegates offer First Gentleman Advice for Bill Clinton
- Calvin Harris 'Was Movin' on from His Ex-Missus' During 'Olé' Video Shoot after Taylor Swift Split, John Newman Jokes
- 63 Chihuahuas Rescued from Colorado Breeding Operation
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 30, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 25
His Controversial Suicide Manual Hit America Where It Lives—and Sometimes Chooses to Die
Humphry, 61, argues that the terminally ill who are mentally competent have the right to choose death. "We're talking about dignity and pride," he says. "My book may help sort out the complexities." The British ex-journalist became involved with euthanasia in 1975, when he helped his wife, dying of breast cancer, kill herself. In 1978 he moved to the U.S. and, with second wife Ann Wickett Humphry, founded the Hemlock Society (motto: Good life, good death). They divorced in 1990 after Ann, too, contracted breast cancer; in October she also committed suicide.
Perhaps Final Exit's success should startle no one. Last year there were nearly 31,000 recorded suicides in the U.S. Americans' ambivalence about euthanasia was evident last month when Washington State voters rejected a measure to allow doctors to help terminal patients end their lives. But Humphry is buoyed that some 690,000 were in favor. "The right to choose to die," he said, will be "the great debate of the 1990s."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!