Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Man in Army Fatigues Arrested in Pennsylvania Theater Allegedly Had Stolen Gun, Ammunition and Respirator
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- JoJo Drops Wiz Khalifa Collab, Announces First Album Since Label Lawsuit: 'I Never Left' – But 'I Didn't Own My Voice' for 7 Years
- Tennessee Dad Drowns While Trying to Save Daughters from Rip Current – How to Stay Safe in the Ocean This Summer
- The Real Story Behind Miss Cleo: How a Junior TV Reporter Blew the Lid Off Her Psychic Scandal
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 20, 1992
- Vol. 37
- No. 2
And in This Corner...
It Was No Joke When Dewi Sukarno Left Minnie Osmeña in Stitches
Sukarno intimates, including columnist Cindy Adams, said the confrontation was no surprise: Osmeña, ex-wife of Carnation heir Dwight Stuart, is one of Sukarno's enduring enemies. "There has been backstabbing for a long time," says Adams. "Dewi told me, 'This lady has always been jealous of me.' " According to Adams, hard feelings about Ferdinand Marcos (who defeated Osmeña's father in a 1969 Philippine election) may have added to the tension. Osmeña reportedly loathes Marcos's widow, Imelda, who is one of Sukarno's pals.
The peripatetic Osmeña (whom friends call Minnie) concedes that she and Sukarno had quarreled in the past. "I knew she didn't like me," she says. But Osmeña insists she said nothing to Dewi at Hanau's soiree before Dewi approached and "broke the glass on top of my eye." Sniffs Osmeña: "She says I called her a whore. I probably would have, but I didn't have time."
Released on $5,000 bail after being charged with second-degree assault, the New York City-and Paris-based Sukarno claimed that it was "insanity to believe that I would have tried to harm [Osmeña]." Her glass, she asserted, had simply "gone flying" when an angry Osmeña grabbed her hand. Round 2 for the scrapping socialites begins on Feb. 3, when the accused is due at the Pitkin County Courthouse to plead. Regardless of what happens in court, Osmeña plans to sue. Like the legendary slope-side face-off between Ivana and Maria Maples in 1990, this Aspen melee may be just the plasma-spattered opening round in a battle of social-scene heavyweights.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!