Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Tom Hiddleston's Naked Booty Wins Him British 'Rear of the Year' Award
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- WATCH: Stephen Colbert Isn't Legally Allowed to Broadcast from the DNC – but 'Stephen Colbert' Is – Find Out Why
- A Mother's Tears: Families From Orlando, Sandy Hook and Charleston Mass Shootings Plead at DNC for Stricter Gun Laws
- Bindi Irwin Praises Ariel Winter's Body Confidence for Encouraging Young Girls to 'Love Who They Are'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 20, 1992
- Vol. 37
- No. 2
Quick Frettin' for Beer Brings Cordell Jackson Fame
It is also becoming a memorable pitch for Cordell Jackson, the chord-crunching granny in question. Jackson is not an actress; she is a 68-year-old rockabilly guitarist. "I never planned on being a performing artist, but it's just snowballing," says the ax-pickin' grandmother of 10. "My career has just exploded."
For Jackson the fuse was lighted decades ago in Pontotoc, Miss., where as a child she learned classical music from her bandleader father, then gravitated to a mail-order guitar and earthier rhythms. She cut her first single in 1947 and eventually went on to found Moon Records, a home-based mail-order firm to market instrumental tapes.
Jackson, who paused in her playing to raise two sons, still runs the company out of the same ranch-style, Memphis, Tenn., home that she and her ex-husband built in the '50s. Since being spotted by an ad exec who saw her playing at a club last year, she has been working on an album of comedy songs, a movie script and has no plans to crank down the volume. "Why should you wear your hair up when you can let it down?" she says. "I have no intentions of sittin' down, backin' up or stoppin'."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!