Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Babysitter's Story of Masked Intruders Unravels as She's Charged in Strangulation Death of 5-Year-old
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Reese Witherspoon: My Divorce Made My Brain Feel Like 'Scrambled Eggs'
- See the Most Sizzling Fashion Moments from the PEOPLE Magazine Awards!
- FBI Says North Korea Responsible for Sony Hack, President Obama Promises Retaliation
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 05:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 23, 1992
- Vol. 37
- No. 11
Jay Leno's New Edd-Ition
If Leno's Replacing Carson, Who's the Next Mcmahon? Heeere's Edd Hall
Hall, 33, a former NBC page and graphic designer for Late Night with David Letterman (he added the d in Edd for pizzazz), got the Leno floral treatment by beating out 100 contenders with his mellifluous pipes. Leno's reaction upon hearing Hall's demo: an exuberant "Yes!" On that audition tape were samples of Hall's repertoire of more than 150 voices, which he has let loose on such shows as Married...with Children and Letterman. The voices should serve him well in his new mike job, which is conceived as strictly offstage. "I don't mind being behind the camera," he says. "I am basically a lazy guy." But Ed McMahon advises Hall to stay alert: "Eventually he may earn the couch."
By 14, Hall was already tuning up his vocal cords as a deejay in Corning, N.Y., where he grew up with three sisters. At age 3, he lost his father, a hockey coach, who died of a heart attack after being hit in the chest by a puck. His mother, Thelma, a nurse, subsequently married Bill Hall, then a school administrator, who adopted Edd. Though Hall, who lives with Liza in a rented two-bedroom house in Encino, refuses to rehearse his new part ("I don't walk around saying, 'Heeere's Jay' "), Bill says Edd already has some of the lines down pat. "When he gave us his new phone number, he told us not to release it to anyone—the words of a true rising star."
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!