Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Genius German Shepherd Plots Her Escape From California Animal Shelter
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Julie Bowen Explains Why Her Husband Was Not at the Emmys: 'It's Tough to Be a Purse Holder'
- The Countess Did It! Sophie Wessex Arrives at Buckingham Palace after 450-mile Bike Ride
- Elsa Pataky Shows Off Her Killer Six-Pack Abs in a Bikini During Spain Vacation
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1992
- Vol. 37
- No. 18
Happy Birthday, Barbra!
Streisand Celebrates Her First 50 Years, and Hollywood's Mightiest—including Her Various Exes—turn Out with the Kids for Some Fun
THE CASTLELIKE SETTING HAD Cinderella trappings, but a more filling motif for Barbra Streisand's 50th birthday might have been Babs in Toyland. Though Oscar had snubbed her a month earlier, some 300 friends and their 100 children celebrated Barbra Streisand's first half century on April 25 in a style extravagant even by Hollywood standards. Her ex-beau, coiffeur-turned-producer Jon Peters, transformed his 12-acre Beverly Hills estate into a veritable fantasyland complete with still walkers, fire-eaters, face painters (Streisand opted for a rose on her right ankle), a circus elephant for the offspring to ride, and Peters's own menagerie of pigs, horses, goats and peacocks.
At dusk, after feasting on some common-folk fare (hamburgers, hot dogs and popcorn), marquee guests, including Frank Sinatra, Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep, Warren Beatty and Annette Bening (with 4-month-old daughter Kathlyn), trilled "Happy Birthday" and laid seige to a three-foot-high castle of a cake. Budget for the bash? $200,000-plus, by one estimate.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!