Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kristin Cavallari Won't Watch 'Brutal' Episodes of The Hills: 'I Was So Obnoxious'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Drew Barrymore Says Her Daughters Love 'Uncle Jimmy' Fallon: 'He's the Best!'
- That's Amore: George and Amal Clooney are All Smiles During Date Night in Rome
- Begin Again Director John Carney Slams Keira Knightley: 'I'll Never Make a Film with Supermodels Again'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 27, 1992
- Vol. 38
- No. 4
A Credit to Her Mouse Ears, the Original Beach-Blanket Babe Was the Goddess of the Kids Down at the Drive-In
Nor were there chinks in her Italian-Catholic armor. "My life was exactly what fans saw and read about," says Funicello, 49, whose autobiography was recently rejected by a publisher for its utter lack of sensation. She did date Paul Anka, who wrote the 1960 ditty "Puppy Love" for her, and leading man Frankie Avalon, who gave her a charm bracelet inscribed TO MY BABY DOLL, ANNETTE. Not exactly enough to incite the tabloids to frenzy.
Funicello, twice married and the mother of three, ultimately chose domesticity over career but peddled peanut butter in TV commercials in the '70s and '80s. She still turns up at the occasional Mousketeer reunion and of late has been promoting a collection of teddy bears on a home-shopping channel. "I think the teens of today know so much more than we did, they have to grow up so fast," she says. "You can't remain childlike anymore. You can't look at the world with wonder in your eyes.'' Annette did, which is why she'll always be a reminder that, indeed, there was once something called puppy love.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!