Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,189 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kylie Jenner's Got Us Seeing Blue in Her Monochromatic Denim Look
- Read the Cover Story: Meet the American Heroes Who Stopped French Train Attack
- NBA Player Russell Westbrook Marries Nina Earl in Star-Studded Beverly Hills Ceremony
- Anna Duggar's Isolated Life: She Feels It Is 'Not Godly' to Get Mad at Josh
- Beauty Flashback! The Boldest Hair Styles from the 2005 VMAs
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 27, 1992
- Vol. 38
- No. 4
Underweight but Overwhelming, the Guy Who Started It All Used Sexy Ballads and Starry-Eyed Sentiment to Turn on a Generation of Bobby-Soxers
Sinatra set kids on fire the way no singer ever had before. He came on as one of them, fresh out of Hoboken, N.J. There was no macho swagger—yet. (That came later, along with the hints of mob connections, spectacularly public infidelities and the deeper vocal artistry.) For now, he was boyish, vulnerable and so alarmingly skinny (5'10", 137 lbs.) that the girls scarcely knew which he needed more, love or a square meal.
Sinatra was a ballad singer, smooth and dreamy. He spun visions of romance and sentiment that soothed the wartime jitters. "There was great loneliness, and I was the boy in every corner drugstore—the boy who'd gone off, drafted, to war," said Sinatra, who was 4-F due to a punctured eardrum.
Yet this boy also had something more—pure sex appeal. "I love all those girls the same as they love me," said Sinatra. And for as long as each song lasted, he made them believe it.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!