Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Dan Deacon on Touring with Miley Cyrus: She's Surprisingly 'Down to Earth'
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Miranda Lambert Heads Home to Texas for Thanksgiving: 'Nothing Beats a Note from Mom'
- All Grown Up: How Sasha and Malia Obama Have Changed Since Dad Took Office
- VIDEO: Eagles of Death Metal Recall Horror of Paris Terror Attacks: We 'Immediately Knew Something Was Wrong'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 19, 1990
- Vol. 34
- No. 20
A Daredevil Parachutist Takes a Leap of Faith Inside St. Paul's Cathedral and Falls from Grace with the Church
"He just climbed over the rail of the gallery and dove off, "said witness James Bryant, 19, an American tourist. "A few seconds later, he landed and was gone."
He has not been captured. The British tabloid Today described the parachutist as a 21-year-old daredevil who specializes in hazardous low-level BASE jumping. (BASE stands for buildings, antennae, spans and earthbound objects, such as cliffs.) Today reported that he and a group of accomplices had planned the St. Paul's leap for more than a year. The young man, using the pseudonym Chris Scott, was quoted as saying, "I just jumped, and my mate in the gallery pulled the cord. I just missed an old lady. I'm on a high now."
Officials at Sir Christopher Wren's 17th-century baroque masterpiece, one of London's great tourist attractions, were not so thrilled. The Reverend Christopher Hill, who was afternoon duty canon when the leap took place, said, "The staff were quite distressed about it because we had a suicide 12 months ago from about the same spot, and this stupid stunt brought back the whole horror of that."
Meanwhile, the police are looking for the mysterious jumper, who could face two months in jail. They have one major clue: In his rush to escape, the young man abandoned his parachute.
November 23, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!