Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Eva Longoria Will Receive Walk of Fame Star the Same Year as Her 'Idol' Selena Quintanilla: 'I Know I Will Receive It Because You Dared to Dream It First'
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Fergie Releases Hot New Track 'M.I.L.F. $' – Listen Here!
- Nation's Oldest Park Ranger, 94, Robbed and Beaten in Her California Home
- FROM TIME: Cinemark Attorneys Want Aurora Shooting Victims to Cover $700,000 in Legal Fees
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 19, 1990
- Vol. 34
- No. 20
A Daredevil Parachutist Takes a Leap of Faith Inside St. Paul's Cathedral and Falls from Grace with the Church
"He just climbed over the rail of the gallery and dove off, "said witness James Bryant, 19, an American tourist. "A few seconds later, he landed and was gone."
He has not been captured. The British tabloid Today described the parachutist as a 21-year-old daredevil who specializes in hazardous low-level BASE jumping. (BASE stands for buildings, antennae, spans and earthbound objects, such as cliffs.) Today reported that he and a group of accomplices had planned the St. Paul's leap for more than a year. The young man, using the pseudonym Chris Scott, was quoted as saying, "I just jumped, and my mate in the gallery pulled the cord. I just missed an old lady. I'm on a high now."
Officials at Sir Christopher Wren's 17th-century baroque masterpiece, one of London's great tourist attractions, were not so thrilled. The Reverend Christopher Hill, who was afternoon duty canon when the leap took place, said, "The staff were quite distressed about it because we had a suicide 12 months ago from about the same spot, and this stupid stunt brought back the whole horror of that."
Meanwhile, the police are looking for the mysterious jumper, who could face two months in jail. They have one major clue: In his rush to escape, the young man abandoned his parachute.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!