Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Conan O'Brien Learns Never to Ask Will Ferrell About His Bird (VIDEO)
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- Why Hasn't Andy Cohen Gotten a Good Night's Sleep in 25 Years?
- Website Posts Anorexic Woman's Photos in List of 'Amazing Weight Loss Transformations'
- Jason Derulo: 'I'm Not Looking to Settle Down Right Away' After Jordin Sparks Split
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 17, 1990
- Vol. 34
- No. 24
The Charge (and How!) of the Socialite Brigade: a Fashion Avenue Aids Benefit Becomes Seventh (on Sale) Heaven
To triumph, shoppers had to know the rules of the game—she who tags it, bags it. So Diane von Furstenberg ceded a $900 (originally $3,500) Oscar de la Renta foxtrimmed bolero jacket to Ivana Trump. But best-dressed perennial Nan Kempner wasn't as giving when it came to a $32 hat. Miffed that the fruit-bedecked Badoglio straw number she had put on hold had disappeared, Kempner located it atop designer Malee Chompoo. When Kempner plucked it off her head, Malee's partner-husband, Kazuyoshi Hino, challenged Kempner—whereupon she slapped him. "It was my first reaction," Nan explained.
In the three days following the kickoff dinner, 13,500 seasoned shoppers paid $10 (good for 2½ hours) to compete for 80,000 items donated by designers and department stores. The charitable result: more than $4.5 million raised for the New York City AIDS Fund. For those who braved the lines outside the 69th Regiment Armory, the payoff was a crack at such steals as a $10,000 gold-sequined Chanel jacket for $500. "I got four shopping bags full, I was so hysterical," said Pat (Mrs. William F.) Buckley. 'it's all for such a good cause. And I love a bargain. Doesn't anyone who usually buys retail?"
March 27, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!