Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Helen Mirren, Bradley Cooper, Kristin Chenoweth Lead 2015 Tony Nominees
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 20- Apr. 26, 2015
- PHOTO: Shia LaBeouf Goes Full-On Lumbersexual (But Don't Worry, He's Still Got the Rattail)
- Smooth Move! Simon Cowell Sweeps Katie Couric Off Her Feet with Dapper Dip on the Red Carpet
- Rebecca Romijn Previews Skin Wars Season 2 with Super Sexy Tigress Teaser
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 18, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 6
Danny Thomas, Who Never Wore Out His Welcome, Takes His Leave
The sentiment is shared by millions. Thomas's Make Room for Daddy (later The Danny Thomas Show) reigned as a top sitcom from 1953 to 1964, in part because many of the show's most telling episodes, and even the title, came from the comedian's own life. Born Muzyad Yakhoob, the Lebanese-American son of a Toledo dry-goods peddler dropped out of school to follow his star in radio and vaudeville. Like his TV character, he was so often on the road that wife Rose Marie would frequently let one of the Thomas kids sleep in her bedroom. When Danny came home, they had to make room for Daddy.
More than an actor, he amassed a fortune producing such hits as The Andy Griffith Show and The Mod Squad. A devout Catholic, he showed his gratitude for success by founding St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis in 1962. "Danny Thomas was a giver," says Berle, "not a taker. I feel that he's up there right now in heaven being St. Jude's assistant."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!