Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Renée Zellweger Says the Scrutiny Over Her Appearance is Sexist: 'Why Are We Talking About How Women Look?'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Republican Meg Whitman Puts Eye-Popping Cash Donation Behind Her Endorsement of Hillary Clinton
- Emilia Clarke Takes to the Sky in Kauai, Bella Thorne and Jared Leto Commune with Nature and More Celeb Vacations
- 150 Attend Funeral for Cancer Patient Killed Outside Treatment Center – an 'Outgoing, Bubbly, Kind-Hearted Free Spirit'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 18, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 6
Jodie Foster's Silence of the Lambs Chops Its Way into Sheepish Hollywood's Quivering Heart
"I was gripped the whole time," said Jeff Bridges.
"I was so terrified, I squeezed everything I could get my hands on—my knees, Winona's arm, everything," said Johnny Depp.
"When I saw people gripping the handles of their chairs, I knew we were okay," said director Jonathan Demme.
The clutch performances were provoked by the L.A. premiere of The Silence of the Lambs (see review, page 17), the much-anticipated movie based on author Thomas Harris's 1988 thriller about a serial killer and a psychotic psychiatrist with Cuisinart tendencies. Nine hundred first-nighters paid $125 per ticket to see the film and, apparently undeterred by Lambs' hints of cannibalism, to dine afterward on chicken chili, shish kebabs, and blue cheese and onion tarts. Proceeds went to the AIDS Project Los Angeles, which helps feed, house and counsel AIDS victims in the L.A. area.
"Sometimes I was so scared I couldn't watch," said thirtysomething's Mel Harris, referring to the film, not the nosh. Jodie Foster, who stars in the movie as a fledgling FBI agent tracking the killer, simply couldn't speak. Asked to share her own reaction to the film, the actress replied, "Nah, there's already been too much of that," and chose to let her Silence speak for itself.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!