Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Prince William, the Queen and Camilla as You've Never Seen Them Before! Check Out Their Unusual New Portraits
- The Style Top 5: Reese Witherspoon Channels Elle Woods,
Steal the Styles from Wet Hot American Summer and More
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Show Off Their Shoe Line, Admit to Problems With Confidence
- How Scott Disick May Have Blown a Second Chance with Kourtney Kardashian
- Ashley Williams on Giving Birth. In Her Living Room. On the Floor!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 04, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 8
Those adjectives also apply to Wilhelm, 34. "She's smart and talented enough to get the story," says assistant managing editor John Saar, "and tough-minded enough to keep her head in the worst circumstances."
And in merely trying circumstances. In Saudi Arabia, Maria has been forced to take a taxi because women are prohibited from driving. And she was detained at a mall in Riyadh for not covering herself as Muslim law requires. "I was conservatively dressed in skirt and stockings," she recalls. "Within five minutes, I was stopped by Matawain, the holy police. They made me buy a black robe."
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate in philosophy of the University of California at Berkeley, Wilhelm, a San Francisco native, started as a PEOPLE stringer in her hometown in 1980. She later moved to Washington, D.C., serving as the magazine's bureau chief from early 1989 to last December, when she was promoted to associate editor and relocated to New York City. Then war broke out, and she was off to Dhahran, her new post. "I'm really a field reporter," she says, "and probably the farther afield the better." If this week's story is any evidence, Wilhelm is right on the money.
August 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!