Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Joe Giudice on Wife Teresa's Jail Time: 'I Was to Blame'
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Donald Trump and Family!
- VIDEO: 'Joe, Run': First Campaign Ad for Biden 2016 Hits TV – with or Without Him
- VIDEO: Reba McEntire Has a Major 'When In Rome...' Moment – and It's Fantastic!
- American Horror Story: Hotel's Brad Falchuk Promises the 'Darkest Season We've Ever Done'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 04, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 8
Those adjectives also apply to Wilhelm, 34. "She's smart and talented enough to get the story," says assistant managing editor John Saar, "and tough-minded enough to keep her head in the worst circumstances."
And in merely trying circumstances. In Saudi Arabia, Maria has been forced to take a taxi because women are prohibited from driving. And she was detained at a mall in Riyadh for not covering herself as Muslim law requires. "I was conservatively dressed in skirt and stockings," she recalls. "Within five minutes, I was stopped by Matawain, the holy police. They made me buy a black robe."
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate in philosophy of the University of California at Berkeley, Wilhelm, a San Francisco native, started as a PEOPLE stringer in her hometown in 1980. She later moved to Washington, D.C., serving as the magazine's bureau chief from early 1989 to last December, when she was promoted to associate editor and relocated to New York City. Then war broke out, and she was off to Dhahran, her new post. "I'm really a field reporter," she says, "and probably the farther afield the better." If this week's story is any evidence, Wilhelm is right on the money.
October 07, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!