Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM EW: Relive 42 Years of Saturday Night Live Auditions with These Throwback Videos
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Here's a Reminder That You Can Ice Skate on Kim Kardashian's New Engagement Ring from Kanye West
- Donald Trump Told Howard Stern He Thought Paris Hilton Was 'Beautiful' When She Was 12 Years Old
- Jim Carrey's Lawyer Releases Touching Photos of Actor and Late Girlfriend Cathriona White Amid Lawsuit
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 18, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 10
Invading Wales for His First Proper Walkabout, a Confident Prince Wills Proves He's to the Handshake Born
Before the people of Cardiff, his dad and his beaming mum, Wills turned in a gripping performance. Wearing a yellow daffodil in honor of St. David's Day, the national day of Wales, Wills shook hands firmly and smiled broadly as he worked the crowd of 2,500. Keeping her eye, and occasionally a reassuring hand, on her son, Diana leaned over and asked, "Are you all right?" to which the young Prince replied, "How long is it lasting?"
While Charles nipped off after an hour to visit military wives at a nearby airfield, the future Prince of Wales (who had been granted the day off from Ludgrove School) executed his one official task by unveiling a six-foot plaque promoting the culture and commerce of Cardiff. Afterward he signed the visitors book—left-handed.
By outing's end it was plain that the young Prince had inherited both his mother's charm and her tendency to blush. Wills's cheeks reddened when Lucy Willis, 9, handed him a bouquet of daffodils. "I gave him the flowers because my mum told me to," Lucy explained later.
Iris Birleston, a 66-year-old grandmother, wasn't so restrained. When the Prince approached, she leaned over the barricade and kissed him on the cheek. "I just could not resist it," she said. "I hope the Princess didn't mind." Posterity will surely note she did not.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!