Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Harrison Ford 'Very, Very Happy' to Be Back in the Air for the First Time Since Plane Crash
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Watch 3 Scathing Takes on the Duggar Molestation Scandal
- PHOTOS: Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch on the Market for $100 Million
- Pregnant Mom Kicked Off Flight Because Her Toddler Cried: 'I Don't Like to Make a Fuss'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 27, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 20
Save the Gerbils
Veterinarian Stuart Wiles Ensures Humane Care for Laboratory Animals
Wiles keeps a careful eye on lab procedures—overseeing collection of blood, the administering of anesthesia and painkillers and careful inspection of lab animals' living quarters—to make sure they are done in ways that do not cause unnecessary pain. "You have to make sure the monitoring is there, that the animal is looked at every day," he says, noting that holiday and weekend care was at times sporadic before the ordinance. So far, Wiles hasn't found cause to bring disciplinary procedures against any labs, but he has the authority to levy fines of up to $300 per day for violations.
Wiles developed his love for animals as a child in the farming community of Bolton, Mass. A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania's veterinary school, he eventually set up his own practice. Wiles, who now runs a house-call vet service that supplements his income, admits that his feelings about animal experimentation are complicated. "I have to accept the fact that animals are being purposely used and destroyed, but at least here, it will be in the least stressful way possible. Just by my presence, I know I'm helping."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!