Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wins 'Fight of the Century' Against Manny Pacquiao
- The Style Top 5: All the Stars Are Going Gray, Amal Clooney's Stylish Sister Hits N.Y.C and More
- Outlander Recap: Jamie Meets Someone from His Past and Claire Plays Midwife to Jenny
- Decorate the Ultimate Kim Kardashian Fan Cake
- Marchesa Has a New Wedding Dress Collection, and We Think Sofia Vergara (and Other Engaged Celebs) Would Look Perfect in It
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 24, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 24
America's Oddest Drill Team Has Come a Lawn Way, Baby
The Vail crowd went wild, especially when the team lobbed water balloons at the onlookers and hit former President Gerald Ford.
From that semimythic beginning, the group's fame grew. Their very first road trip, in 1985, took them to Manhattan...Kansas. Then came the St. Patrick's Day parade in Kansas City, Mo., Founders Day Parade in North Attleboro, Mass., NBA half-time shows in Denver and conventions around the country. Last October they filmed a 30-second Miller Lite commercial for which each earned $1,928—union scale.
Why would nine grown men: Craig Campbell, Gary Pesso, Will Lewis, Kirk Kennedy, Nick Svoboda, Brian Heslerlee, Jeff Alencio, Gary Howe and Richard Carnes—whose ages range from 24 to 39 and whose real-life careers include photographer and lumber inspector—do this? "We originally started it to meet girls," says Campbell, 33, a founding chair man who works in a Vail country club. "Now some of us are married, and we do it to meet girls."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!