Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Queen Elizabeth Is Hiring a Live-In Housekeeper – and the Salary Will Surprise You!
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- You Can Now Drink (or Eat) Your Sunscreen – but Doctors Say Take the Hamptons Trend with a Healthy Dose of Skepticism
- What's Next for Criminal Minds After Thomas Gibson's Firing?
- Rainforest Charity Pushes for Leonardo DiCaprio to Return Donations Linked to Malaysian Corruption Controversy
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 01, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 25
The Prince and the Porker
Thanks to Charles the Loin-Hearted, a Rare Breed Is Saved from Slaughter
The swine in question, a rare English breed called Gloucester Old Spot, fell into peril recently when their owner, Charles Russell, 37, couldn't get a bank loan to continue his budding breeding operation. Russell, whose farm is home to the largest herd of Old Spots in Britain, also raises Berkshires, British Lops, Middle Whites and Tamworths, among others. "We want to save them and increase the gene pool," he says, "and keep them as pure as possible." When the operation slipped into a financial trough, he was forced to book time for his beloved Old Spots at a local slaughterhouse.
The pigs were within a week of hog heaven when the London Daily Telegraph publicized their plight. Alarmed animal fanciers, of which Britain has an embarrassment, quickly sent nearly $5,000 in donations. Then Prince Charles, who serves as patron of England's Rare Breed Survival Trust, came to the rescue with what Russell discreetly terms a "generous" contribution that will fund a classroom on the property so that children can learn about animal husbandry. "His support is a major help for our efforts in conservation and education," says Russell. The outpouring of concern, he adds, from Prince and commoner alike, "has restored my faith in mankind—if not in banks." That goes double, one assumes, for the pigs.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!