Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Why Bruce Jenner Prefers to Go by Male Pronouns – for the Time Being
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Shane West: 'Angelina Jolie Can Put a Spell on Me Anytime'
- Prince William Takes a Break from the Royal Baby Watch to Attend a Solemn Ceremony with the Queen
- What Recently Got Bloodline Star Kyle Chandler to Bust a Move?
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 08, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 26
Stairway to History
What's in the Attic? a Nation's Past
Then, on the strength of a note alluding to "other important papers," Tobin headed for a vault at Boston's Bank of New England. "I couldn't believe it at first—it was like winning the lottery twice," says Tobin. Inside were two drafts of the U.S. Constitution, one brought back from the 1787 Constitutional Convention by New Hampshire delegate Nicholas Gilman, the other by Massachusetts delegate Rufus King. (Both papers were placed in the bank around 1900.)
Only a handful of these documents are known to exist. "They are priceless," enthuses museum board member Bonnie Meroth, although one expert thinks the drafts could fetch better than a million apiece.
King's version is a four-page, near-final draft of the Constitution; the other is an earlier, seven-page committee draft annotated by Gil-man. The optimistic Tobin believes that Gilman's yet-to-be-deciphered marginalia could have "a significant impact on history."
But that's for the scholars to decide. Meroth and Tobin still have toys to unpack in the attic. "It's overwhelming," says Meroth. "We've been like kids in a candy store."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!