Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Babysitter's Story of Masked Intruders Unravels as She's Charged in Strangulation Death of 5-Year-old
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Reese Witherspoon: My Divorce Made My Brain Feel Like 'Scrambled Eggs'
- See the Most Sizzling Fashion Moments from the PEOPLE Magazine Awards!
- FBI Says North Korea Responsible for Sony Hack, President Obama Promises Retaliation
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 05:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 08, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 26
Stairway to History
What's in the Attic? a Nation's Past
Then, on the strength of a note alluding to "other important papers," Tobin headed for a vault at Boston's Bank of New England. "I couldn't believe it at first—it was like winning the lottery twice," says Tobin. Inside were two drafts of the U.S. Constitution, one brought back from the 1787 Constitutional Convention by New Hampshire delegate Nicholas Gilman, the other by Massachusetts delegate Rufus King. (Both papers were placed in the bank around 1900.)
Only a handful of these documents are known to exist. "They are priceless," enthuses museum board member Bonnie Meroth, although one expert thinks the drafts could fetch better than a million apiece.
King's version is a four-page, near-final draft of the Constitution; the other is an earlier, seven-page committee draft annotated by Gil-man. The optimistic Tobin believes that Gilman's yet-to-be-deciphered marginalia could have "a significant impact on history."
But that's for the scholars to decide. Meroth and Tobin still have toys to unpack in the attic. "It's overwhelming," says Meroth. "We've been like kids in a candy store."
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!