Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Vine Star Julia Price on Little Boy Who Stood Up to Catcaller for Her: It's 'One of the Most Moving Moments of My Life'
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Teresa Giudice Wants Thanksgiving to Be as 'Normal as Possible for the Girls' While She's in Prison, Source Says
- Kelly Wiglesworth: I Wasn't Going To Change Who I Am for Survivor
- NFL Player Stedman Bailey in Stable Condition After Being Grazed in Head by Bullet in Florida
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 08, 1991
- Vol. 35
- No. 26
Johnny Mourns a Son
Johnny Carson's Second Son, Richard, Is Killed When His Car Plunges Off a Road
On June 21, only three days after his 39th birthday, Rick was driving the Pathfinder near the scenic coastal town of Morro Bay, Calif., when it plummeted 125 feet down an embankment, killing him instantly. Police say a camera tripod was set up nearby; it appeared that Rick, a photography enthusiast, was moving the car in search of better light or a different angle when the wheels slipped off the road shoulder.
Johnny, who has been on vacation from NBC's Tonight Show, has not spoken publicly about the tragedy. He was seen at Rick's home after the crash. "He was walking really slowly," says neighbor Mike Paciorek. "He looked distraught."
Johnny's first wife, Jody Wolcott Buckley, the mother of Rick, Cory, 38, a Los Angeles musician, and Chris, 40, a sometime golf pro in Ft. Lauderdale, has been estranged from her sons and did not learn of the accident until after the small, private memorial service held in L.A. on Sunday, June 23. According to Jody, Johnny gives each son $50,000 annually, which the unmarried Rick supplemented with behind-the-scenes jobs at NBC. Johnny's second wife, Joanne, who has stayed in touch with the boys, says Rick was "very sensitive, very special. Photography was rather a recent interest. He loved it."
Johnny once said, "All I ever told [my kids] was, 'Do what makes you happy.' " It appears Rick had been doing just that.
November 25, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!