Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Amanda de Cadenet Sends Messages of Support for Friend Amber Heard After the Actress Claims Husband Johnny Depp Abused Her
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- All-Star Memorial Day Recipes from Your Favorite Celebrity Chefs
- Give Your LBDs a Rest with This (Under-$80) Jumpsuit
- The Cutest Baby Footwear We Wish Was Made in Our Size
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 22, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 2
Blue Blood, Blue Ending
Actor James Franciscus Died at 57, Unhealthy, Wealthy and Wistful
Or so it seemed. Last week Franciscus, a heavy smoker and a hard drinker, died of emphysema at 57, and friends linked his personal deterioration to his career decline. According to his longtime publicist, Phil Paladino, the actor had last year begun to complain, "The scripts I get I don't like, and I won't lower myself to do them. The ones I want, I don't get." The actor's onetime drinking buddy, George Peppard, says Franciscus was "talented, very competitive and driven. He was a perfectionist. He'd rewrite scripts and make the best of any job he was doing. But Jim without work was like a man without a country. When he couldn't work anymore, I knew he was in deep trouble."
Franciscus' marriage to Kitty Wellman broke up a decade ago. He married his second wife, Carla, in the mid-'80s and continued to live on his two-acre North Hollywood estate, turning out scripts that never saw the light of film. Pals such as Peppard quit drinking, but Franciscus didn't. "He refused to work," says Peppard, "and he cut himself off from his friends. He became reclusive. All I know is that he was successful, wealthy and unhappy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!