Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez and More to Headline Star-Studded 2016 Global Citizen Festival
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Eva Longoria Takes Aim at Trump During DNC Speech: 'My Family Never Crossed a Border, the Border Crossed Us'
- WATCH: Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Can't Help but Break Character During Hilarious Art Therapy Skit
- Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen Reveal They Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 05, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 4
Alice Goes to Court
Linda Lavin Makes Her Private Life Public in a Nasty Divorce Battle
In a bitter settlement battle with her soon-to-be-ex-husband, actor-director Clifford "Kip" Niven, the 53-year-old actress was forced to publicly describe her sex life, recount Niven's criticism of her acting and appearance, and listen to Niven's lovers providing details of his affairs. On the witness stand, Lavin said she learned of Niven's infidelity when she noticed unfamiliar numbers on their phone bills. She claimed that he made her feel "like an old bag lady" while she was convalescing from eye surgery and generally treated her with "disgust and contempt." She described sex with Niven as "perfunctory. I got the feeling he was pretending I was someone else," she says.
Married since 1982, Lavin filed for divorce in February 1990, charging Niven with mental and emotional cruelty, "profligate spending" of her income and adultery. "I believe that psychological and emotional abuse is as heinous and perhaps more insidious than physical abuse because the scars are invisible," she told a hushed courtroom last week. Niven's attorneys declined to comment.
The 46-year-old Niven, who had roles in 1970s films such as Earthquake and Airport '75, is demanding an undisclosed amount of financial support from Lavin. Her attorney, who says the actress supported Niven and his two children almost completely during the marriage, terms the request "outrageous."
No matter how painful or embarrassing the courtroom revelations, Lavin appeared determined to see the battle through. Said the actress through her attorney: "I'm reclaiming my life."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!