Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Not Even Chrissy Teigen Could Score This at the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Cecily Strong Goes in for Hillary Clinton – and Bill – at the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- The Best Lines from Barack Obama's Speech at the White House Correspondent's Dinner
- Michelle Obama Embraces Her Inner Disco Queen at the WHCD
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 12, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 5
Unveiling the 'Hiram Hussy'
Ed Chernesky's Seminude Shop Sign Stirs Seminaked Passions in a Small Maine Town
The copy, even modified by Schmutz so that Venus' locks mask her nipples, has stirred a Mapplethorpean tempest in the village of Hiram, 40 miles northwest of Portland. The day after Chernesky hung the sign, Deacon Norman Wright, a local Baptist minister-in-training, called. Chernesky says that Wright threatened, "If you don't take it down, my congregation and I will pray that you go out of business."
In May, when Chernesky was cited for violating a town ordinance restricting signs to 12 square feet, he covered the word antiques and declared the Venus a mural. Feelings about the Hiram Hussy had reached such a pitch by Memorial Day that the annual parade was rerouted away from the painting.
For some in Hiram, though, familiarity has bred tolerance. "We don't notice it anymore," says Hiram housewife Julie Yarborugh, 33. As for Chernesky, he's tired of slinging hash 70 hours a week and has added another sign at his store—one that reads FOR SALE. He hasn't decided yet what to do with the Venus. Meanwhile, Deacon Wright has chosen to let a higher tribunal prevail. "I'll leave it up to the Lord to take care of it," he says, "and He will."
April 25, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!