Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim Kardashian West on Butt Pad Chatter: 'Everyone Has Seen My Butt Naked and Knows I Don't Need Them!'
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Husband Buys Wrong Lottery Ticket, Ends Up Winning $169 Million
- Gold Medalist Aries Merritt on His Post-Kidney Transplant Olympic Comeback Plans: 'I Kept Pushing Forward'
- The BFG PEOPLE Review: A Whoopsy Wiffling Ringbeller for the Whole Family
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 12, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 5
Unveiling the 'Hiram Hussy'
Ed Chernesky's Seminude Shop Sign Stirs Seminaked Passions in a Small Maine Town
The copy, even modified by Schmutz so that Venus' locks mask her nipples, has stirred a Mapplethorpean tempest in the village of Hiram, 40 miles northwest of Portland. The day after Chernesky hung the sign, Deacon Norman Wright, a local Baptist minister-in-training, called. Chernesky says that Wright threatened, "If you don't take it down, my congregation and I will pray that you go out of business."
In May, when Chernesky was cited for violating a town ordinance restricting signs to 12 square feet, he covered the word antiques and declared the Venus a mural. Feelings about the Hiram Hussy had reached such a pitch by Memorial Day that the annual parade was rerouted away from the painting.
For some in Hiram, though, familiarity has bred tolerance. "We don't notice it anymore," says Hiram housewife Julie Yarborugh, 33. As for Chernesky, he's tired of slinging hash 70 hours a week and has added another sign at his store—one that reads FOR SALE. He hasn't decided yet what to do with the Venus. Meanwhile, Deacon Wright has chosen to let a higher tribunal prevail. "I'll leave it up to the Lord to take care of it," he says, "and He will."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!