Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- RHOA Recap: The Housewives Head to the Philippines (with a Lot of Baggage)
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- Justin Timberlake Almost Stole Taylor Swift's iHeartRadio Award
- Justin Timberlake to Jessica Biel: 'I Can't Wait to See Our Greatest Creation Yet'
- Jamie Foxx's Joke About Bruce Jenner Falls Flat at iHeartRadio Awards
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 12, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 5
Birdwoman...or Batwoman? Upside-Down Pilot Joann Osterud Sets New Distance and Endurance Records for Inverted Flight
Perhaps, but it certainly isn't for any lack of blood flow to her brain. Other effects of long exposure to negative gravity conditions-upside-downness, to you and me—include plugged ears and sleepy feet, Osterud reports. "And after an hour you feel like you have a really bad head cold. Your ears plug up. Then your face swells up." Osterud, 43, trained for her odd quest by dangling head-down from a special rig in her living room for 30 minutes to an hour at a time.
Her self-deprecating remarks aside, Osterud is anything but an airhead. A pilot for 22 years, she makes her living flying for United Airlines and does stunts for fun. And excitement: During a 1990 attempt at the upside-down record, her plane's engine failed, so Osterud guided the crippled aircraft eight miles to a safe landing. "I was so disappointed," she remembers now. "Then I was mad at myself, because we didn't do something we should have done."
Osterud, who is divorced from a pilot, says she's "too busy for romance right now." Her passion is flying, first and foremost. "Look at what we just did," she says. "They say kids are supposed to do that kind of thing. I realize I'm not a kid anymore, but I sure feel like one. I'll grow old, but I'll never grow up."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!