Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Zac Efron Gushes About His 'O.G Crew' in High School Musical-Themed Throwback Photo
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Anna and Josh Duggar Reveal They're in Marriage Counseling: It's a 'Long Road to Rebuild a Healthy Relationship'
- Angela Simmons Expecting First Child: 'We are Overjoyed and Super Excited'
- More Allegations from Amber Heard: Claims Johnny Depp Abused Her for Four Years, Uses Drugs and Assaulted Her on Her Birthday
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 26, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 7
TV's Luke Perry Sets 10,000 Hearts Aflutter
Actually, Callaghan kinda got crushed—along with quite a few other fans. In a scene reminiscent of the glory days of Elvis and David Cassidy, Perry was mobbed by an estimated 10,000 admirers the moment he stepped onto a stage at the mall's Center Court. "Everyone started screaming," says Rebecca Levin, 14. "The whole mall shook." Perry was whisked away after just a few seconds but left in his wake 21 injured fans, ranging in age from 8 to 39, yes 39. Thirteen were sent to area hospitals, including Callaghan, who suffered torn ligaments in her knee. Later, a shocked Perry issued a statement: "I had no idea so many people would come. I wish things had turned out differently."
It wasn't the first time that Perry, who, like his series co-idol Jason Priestley, gets 1,500 fan letters a week, had encountered Luke-Mania. Three months before, when he appeared at Bellevue Square in Bellevue, Wash., he was hidden in a laundry hamper after 4,000 fans rushed him. And, indeed, Fashion Mall management, taking note of that event, had tripled their usual security force. Still, even 40 officers could not equal the power of rampant infatuation. "Quite frankly," says a Plantation police spokesman, "a crowd of young girls who were so excited to see this star are hard to control."
Since returning to L.A., Perry has tried to contact the victims who were hospitalized. He also canceled two future appearances. As a Fashion Mall spokeswoman noted, "There is a fine line for some celebrities at which point they can no longer make mall appearances...Tiffany comes to mind. I think Luke Perry may have reached that point too."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!