Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chris Brown Releases New Song 'What Would You Do' Less Than 24 Hours After Deadly Weapon Arrest
- Read the Cover Story: Rob Kardashian & Blac Chyna: How I Finally Found Happiness
- Britney Spears Says She's Had Her Fair Share of Awkward Dates: 'Being Famous Doesn't Make You Any Different'
- 5 Killed as 2 Small Planes Collide Midair in Alaska: Report
- Architect and Contractor in Christmas Day House Fire That Killed 5 Agree to Pay $1.2 Million
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 26, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 7
Deja Vu Shoe
Birkenstocks, the Clodhoppers That Shod a Generation, Are Back
Blame it on the mango. Or the plum or the fuchsia or any of the upstart colors and styles introduced by Margot Fraser, 62, the nation's sole distributor of the shoe and the force behind its $40 million-plus American market. "Our goal was to create as many healthy feet as possible in the U.S.," says Fraser, who first encountered the shock-absorbent sandal with a cork footbed during a 1967 stay at a German spa. Intrigued, she and her first husband, a cookware importer, struck a deal with the shoe's German designer, Karl Birkenstock, to import his product. At first, arrogant retailers mocked the clunky-but-good-hearted little shoe. "We had to sell to people with a different vision," says Fraser. So she sold the sandals through health-food stores and by mail.
Today, Birkenstock Footprint Sandals has a staff of 95 at the company's sprawling headquarters in Novato, Calif. Naturally, Fraser and her second husband, psychiatrist Stephen Schoen, 67, wear nothing but Birks on their feet. She favors peach or black for nights at the opera; he sticks with the two-strap "Arizona" model designed by his wife. Says the thoroughly practical entrepreneur: "It's not necessary to be uncomfortable in order to be stylish."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!