Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- This Talented Teen's Song About Inner Beauty Will Lift Your Mood
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Slender Man Suspect on Stabbing Friend: 'It Felt Weird'
- Anonymous Stranger Buys Wedding Dress for Cash-Strapped Bride-to-Be
- Kale For Everyone! Whole Foods Is Lowering Its Prices
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 26, 1991
- Vol. 36
- No. 7
Deja Vu Shoe
Birkenstocks, the Clodhoppers That Shod a Generation, Are Back
Blame it on the mango. Or the plum or the fuchsia or any of the upstart colors and styles introduced by Margot Fraser, 62, the nation's sole distributor of the shoe and the force behind its $40 million-plus American market. "Our goal was to create as many healthy feet as possible in the U.S.," says Fraser, who first encountered the shock-absorbent sandal with a cork footbed during a 1967 stay at a German spa. Intrigued, she and her first husband, a cookware importer, struck a deal with the shoe's German designer, Karl Birkenstock, to import his product. At first, arrogant retailers mocked the clunky-but-good-hearted little shoe. "We had to sell to people with a different vision," says Fraser. So she sold the sandals through health-food stores and by mail.
Today, Birkenstock Footprint Sandals has a staff of 95 at the company's sprawling headquarters in Novato, Calif. Naturally, Fraser and her second husband, psychiatrist Stephen Schoen, 67, wear nothing but Birks on their feet. She favors peach or black for nights at the opera; he sticks with the two-strap "Arizona" model designed by his wife. Says the thoroughly practical entrepreneur: "It's not necessary to be uncomfortable in order to be stylish."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!