Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Eva Longoria Will Receive Walk of Fame Star the Same Year as Her 'Idol' Selena Quintanilla: 'I Know I Will Receive It Because You Dared to Dream It First'
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Fergie Releases Hot New Track 'M.I.L.F. $' – Listen Here!
- Nation's Oldest Park Ranger, 94, Robbed and Beaten in Her California Home
- FROM TIME: Cinemark Attorneys Want Aurora Shooting Victims to Cover $700,000 in Legal Fees
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 20, 1989
- Vol. 32
- No. 21
There's much more to TV than the networks these days, and Hiltbrand, 35, is going to take a hard look at all of it. No stranger to the Picks & Pans section of PEOPLE, David already has contributed hundreds of music and book reviews. "He gets excited about what's good, as well as indignant about what's bad," says senior editor Ralph Novak. That sort of fierce enthusiasm may be familiar to the many fans of our departing TV critic—Jeff Jarvis. After 8½ years of throwing his distinctive, often acerbic voice back at the box, Jeff has left PEOPLE to launch a new publication for Time Inc. Magazines, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY.
Hiltbrand's armchair occupation comes after years of anything but couch potatodom. Born and raised in Brooklyn, he joined the 1974 charter staff of PEOPLE as a copy clerk at age 20. But he pulled up stakes two years later and roamed the country, supporting himself by working in a California lumberyard, as a Cambridge, Mass., cab driver and on a freighter bound for Africa. After graduating from California's Sonoma State University in 1978, Hiltbrand returned to PEOPLE as a reporter, then went on to work as a writer at TV-CABLE WEEK and PICTURE WEEK. For the last two years, he has edited the Insiders section of TV Guide.
Hiltbrand lives outside Philadelphia with his wife, Mary, his stepdaughter Ceara, 16, daughter Erin, 3, and son Rory, 11 months. From there he will screen approximately 35 hours of television each week, helping PEOPLE readers to sort the great from the gawdawful. "I'm not an elitist," says Hiltbrand. "But I expect a lot from TV." PEOPLE readers, in turn, can expect a lot from him.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!