Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim Kardashian Pushes Swimwear Boundaries by Not Wearing Swimwear at All
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Kim Kardashian #TBTs the 2009 VMAs…But We Helped Her Out By Rounding Up the Rest
- What Is the Alt-Right Anyway? A User's Guide
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Share Their Favorite Photos from Their 'Epic' Turks and Caicos Vacation
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 20, 1989
- Vol. 32
- No. 21
The Belles Blossom at the Premiere of Steel Magnolias
For this glittery occasion, which raised $560,000 dollars for the Iacocca Foundation for Diabetes Research, talk of contras was tabled. A dance line took precedence, featuring MacLaine, Sally Field, Olympia Dukakis, Daryl Hannah and Julia Roberts. The stars then segued into a euphoric Fiddler on the Roof-like production number. Holding red handkerchiefs over their heads, Roberts and MacLaine boogied to Springsteen's "Hungry Heart."
Said playwright Robert Hading, who based Steel Magnolias on his Louisiana family: "During shooting they'd all come over to the house. Mom would cook them fried catfish dinners." How did Robert's father, who flew in for the premiere, feel passing the okra to such stellar guests? "They're a fine bunch of people," said the elder Robert. No one would argue otherwise, least of all them.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!