Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Matilda Child Star Mara Wilson Battled OCD and Depression – and More Revelations from Her Emotional Memoir
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Frances Bean Cobain's Estranged Husband Demands $300,000 Annual Spousal Support as Source Says He's 'Trying His Luck'
- Kim Kardashian Pushes Swimwear Boundaries by Not Wearing Swimwear at All
- Kim Kardashian #TBTs the 2009 VMAs…But We Helped Her Out By Rounding Up the Rest
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 20, 1989
- Vol. 32
- No. 21
Threepenny Opera, Critics Claim, Ain't Got a Thing If It's Still Got That Sting
The panning wasn't unexpected; the production had been troubled since its four-week tryout in Washington, D.C. "Sting-ey," director John Dexter had reportedly admonished his star in rehearsals, "you're not playing to the deaf and blind. So you don't need a gesture on every point."
But Sting has always liked to reach. Well before the Police broke up in 1987, he had branched out into movies, earning decent reviews in Dune and Plenty. He also pitted his intellect against social issues such as the destruction of the rain forest. Not surprisingly, Sting was drawn to the classic Kurt Weill-Bertolt Brecht musical—set in decadent 19th-century London—by its political content. "It asks an important question: How can you get people to obey the rules of society when they don't have a stake in the society?" he said.
The question in most critics' minds was a different one: How to convey fully their dismay. No matter: First-nighters gave Sting a standing ovation. Later he was feted by Glenn Close, Rau Julia, Pierce Brosnan and Jodie Foster. And healthy advance ticket sales guarantee the play a good run. "He's having the time of his life," said his publicist. "He didn't go into this for the reviews. He thought it would be a tremendous challenge."
In that, at least, he was right on the mark.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!