Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Southern Jewelry Store Thief Pleads Guilty As Conspirators Are Convicted
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- 6 Things to Know About Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – And How it Fits Into the Potter Universe
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Speaks Out After Leslie Jones Troll Abuse: 'We Need to Do Better'
- Jay Mohr Calls Off Divorce to Wife Nikki Cox Just Six Days After Filing
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 20, 1989
- Vol. 32
- No. 21
Do Your Earrings Hang Low, Do They Wobble to and Fro? At Big Name Shows, the Style's Jumbo
To the designers who display them—from top dogs Romeo Gigli and Karl Lagerfeld to newcomer Charlotte Neuville—the earrings signal a movement away from aggressive, masculine shapes. "It's part of a new softness," says Rebecca Voight, a Paris-based Women's Wear Daily editor. Or as Lagerfeld less delicately puts it, "They even make a thick neck look fragile."
Credited with fathering haute couture's newly fragile femininity is Gigli, the Italian designer who threw away shoulder pads to drape soft, lean clothes on will-o'-the-wisp models. That look also made the chandelier-like earrings possible. Says Cynthia Rybak off, the jewelry designer who dreamed up Neuville's danglers: "Gigli's bare-and narrow-shouldered look creates the right stage, because there's nothing to interfere with the earrings' lines."
Except, perhaps, common sense. Even Lagerfeld, who shows his own shoulder-length earrings, thinks that at mid-chest, "Gigli goes too far." Oh, pish-posh. Says Karen Erickson, partner of Eric Beamon, the designer who created some of Gigli's first chandel-ears: "I'm five feet, and I wear them all the time."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!