Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM TIME: Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert Paid to Hush Up Sexual Misconduct, Reports Say
- The Style Top 5: Taylor Swift Goes Wedding Dress Shopping (For Her BFF),
Celebs' Share Their Makeup-Free Selfies and More
- Quelle Horreur! Paris Removing Nearly 1 Million 'Love Locks' from Famous Bridge
- DC Mansion Murders: Who Was Slain Housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa?
- A Playmate for Bentley! Teen Mom OG's Maci Bookout Gives Birth to 'Beautiful' Daughter
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 04, 1989
- Vol. 32
- No. 23
Abandon Ship! A Galleon Runs Aground in a Highway Wreck
The 26-ton Bridgette Smith (named for Fiondella's grandmother) was being hauled on a trailer from a storage facility in L.A. to Marina Del Rey. Disaster struck shortly after midnight on Culver Boulevard. "We came to a bend; I saw the boat tip slowly," says Fiondella, who was following the trailer in his car. "She fell and cracked at the midsection."
Traffic was hopelessly blocked as workers spent the day lifting the stricken vessel onto a bigger trailer with cranes and jacks. After 13 hours, they succeeded in moving Bridgette 100 yards, only to have her capsize again. Nothing more could be done but abandon ship. The next day bulldozers did their noisy work as Bridgette's owner saw his galleon—she had four sleeping cabins, a fireplace, even an on-board Jacuzzi—reduced to scrap. "My boat had been an island in a world of troubles, my shrink, my Shangri-la," laments Fiondella.
A longtime yachtsman, treasure hunter and bit-part actor, Fiondella owns a 10-table, steak-and-seafood restaurant called Chez Jay in Santa Monica that has been a watering hole for celebs with names-like Sinatra, Newman and Redford. Having salvaged a few pieces, such as port windows, Fiondella plans to hold a memorial service for the Bridgette Smith. But proving his humor survived the wreck, he has renamed his erstwhile dream boat the U.S.S. Never Sail.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!