Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Lena Dunham Says She's Becoming More Modest with Age, Nude Scenes for Girls Are Getting More Difficult
- Read the Cover Story: Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Sexiest Dad Alive
- Michigan Teen's Promposal to Student with Special Needs Goes Viral: 'Personality Is What Makes a Person Beautiful'
- Police: 83-Year-Old Former Priest Detained on Charges Related to 1960 Murder of Texas Schoolteacher
- Texas Prosecutor Who Withheld Evidence in Death Penalty Case Has Appeal of Disbarment Denied
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 18, 1989
- Vol. 32
- No. 25
Brooding Actor James Woods's Immediate Family Breaks Up After Four Months of Marriage
But while Woods appeared as an unflappable husband on film, his own marriage was fraying. Last month the actor started showing up at celebrity events alone, and on Nov. 30 Woods, 42, filed for a legal separation from Owen, 26, citing "irreconcilable differences." While neither Woods, who was filming in Spain, nor Owen would comment on the breakup, writer Percy Granger, a longtime friend of Woods's, speculated that the split may have been the result of "fallout from the Sean Young thing."
Woods's thing—read affair—with Young began on the set of The Boost in 1987, a year after he and Owen began dating. When Woods called off the affair, at Owen's behest, he and Sarah began receiving hate mail including pictures of corpses and a mutilated baby doll. Woods blamed Young, and he filed a $2 million-plus lawsuit charging "intentional infliction of emotional distress." (Young denies the charges; the suit was settled out of court in August.)
"It certainly hasn't pulled us apart at all," Owen has said, but behind closed doors the relationship was troubled. In November 1987, Owen filed a report with the Los Angeles police alleging that Woods had held her at gunpoint. (Woods was never charged.)
The air seemed to have cleared by January 1988, when Woods proposed to Owen on bended knee in a crowded restaurant. After the July 2, 1989, wedding, Woods and Owen settled into their Beverly Hills home and adopted a terrier they named Tucker. But marital bliss was not to be. "They were both under a lot of pressure at the time of the wedding," says Granger. "Maybe that pressure didn't abate."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!