Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Little Girl with Tumor Has One Final Wish – to Dance with Taylor Swift
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Sofia Vergara Sees You Staring at Joe Manganiello – and She Loves It
- William Shatner Can't Attend Leonard Nimoy's Funeral: 'I Feel Really Awful'
- 7 Times When Ashton Kutcher Was the Most Adorable Fiancé – and Dad – of All Time
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 01, 1989
- Vol. 31
- No. 17
By Adding Up How Much Uncle Sam Owes, Susan Williams Gives Us Each Day Our Daily Debt
It could be worse though. At least Williams, an accountant with the Bureau of the Public Debt, doesn't have to worry about paying off the staggering sum. The above figure represents the total indebtedness of the United States of America, and on average it grew at a rate of $722 million a day in the past year. Williams just has to tally the grim figure. And she has to have it figured out, down to the penny, every day by 11:30 A.M. The figure is a matter of public record and is used by government managers and securities markets.
Williams, who lives in Washington, D.C., does her tallying—with the help of a staff of 11—inside a small computer room in the Bureau of Printing and Engraving Annex near the Washington Monument. She uses a combination of arcane financial data—including daily figures from the Federal Reserve banks—to calculate exactly how much Uncle Sam owes his creditors. "There's a lot of pressure," she says, " 'but I work better under pressure."
As for that 15-digit debt, it boils down to $11,209.54 for every man, woman and child in the United States—including Susan Williams.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!