Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Thomas Gibson Contemplates a Return to Comedy Following His Criminal Minds Firing: 'Maybe It's Time'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Couple of 62 Years Share Heartbreaking Farewell as They're Forced to Live in Separate Nursing Homes
- Ryan Reynolds Wishes His Wife Blake Lively (and Billy Ray Cyrus) Happy Birthday in Hilarious Message
- Watch Mayim Bialik and Marcie Leeds Recreate Their Iconic Opening Scene from Beaches
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 01, 1989
- Vol. 31
- No. 17
By Adding Up How Much Uncle Sam Owes, Susan Williams Gives Us Each Day Our Daily Debt
It could be worse though. At least Williams, an accountant with the Bureau of the Public Debt, doesn't have to worry about paying off the staggering sum. The above figure represents the total indebtedness of the United States of America, and on average it grew at a rate of $722 million a day in the past year. Williams just has to tally the grim figure. And she has to have it figured out, down to the penny, every day by 11:30 A.M. The figure is a matter of public record and is used by government managers and securities markets.
Williams, who lives in Washington, D.C., does her tallying—with the help of a staff of 11—inside a small computer room in the Bureau of Printing and Engraving Annex near the Washington Monument. She uses a combination of arcane financial data—including daily figures from the Federal Reserve banks—to calculate exactly how much Uncle Sam owes his creditors. "There's a lot of pressure," she says, " 'but I work better under pressure."
As for that 15-digit debt, it boils down to $11,209.54 for every man, woman and child in the United States—including Susan Williams.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!