Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kansas City Zoo Welcomes New Baby Gorilla, First in 40 Years
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Martina McBride Responds to Sexism in Country Radio: 'Wow … Just Wow'
- Model Chanel Iman Makes Screen Debut in Cannes Hip-Hop Film Dope: 'I've Always Prayed That I'd Be Here Promoting a Film'
- 20 Coffee Shops in America You Have to Visit
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 1989
- Vol. 32
- No. 3
Picks and Pans Review: The Jim Henson Hour
Muppet creator Jim Henson, who is the host of this show, has an imagination that flows like lava from a psychedelic volcano. This second in a series of seven weekly Henson specials is a colorful, splendiferous affair, full of new, fabulously far-out puppets, including a giant, indestructible cockroach. The theme of this episode is health, which includes pleas to save our ailing planet.
The beauty of Henson's creations is that they don't talk down to kids, even when moralizing. The jokes are truly funny, often irreverent. The last half of the show, titled "Song of the Cloud Forest," takes place in a visually stunning, pastel-colored jungle inhabited by exotic creatures, including a chameleon who changes colors as she talks. It stars an adorable golden frog named Milton, who, because he's a member of an endangered species, is having a hard time finding a girlfriend. Surveying the disappearing rain forest, he woefully muses, "Is this, Milton's paradise, lost forever?"
Beware, though, parents: The puppet drama, which carries a dark message, includes some frightening scenes of human beings cooking up wildlife—including parrots and baby bears—for dinner.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!