Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Yes! Michael Keaton Says He Wants to Make Beetlejuice Sequel
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- It's a Boy for Chris O'Dowd
- Who Brightened Yolanda Foster's Day with Get Well Flowers?
- You’ll Never Guess Where Kim & Kanye Went with Chrissy Teigen & John Legend on a Double Date
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday February 01, 2015 04:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 12, 1997
- Vol. 47
- No. 18
Jenn Crowell, 19, Sells Her First for Six Figures
Crowell, who grew up in Jacobus, Pa., and attended high school in nearby Dallastown, took to writing the way Tiger Woods took to golf: from the cradle. "Not writing was never an option, kind of like breathing," she says. As a tyke she dictated stories to her mother, S. Jane Beck-Dettinger, a receptionist, and her father, Robert Crowell, a caseworker, now divorced. In first grade she wrote in an essay that "if you don't get published, you're not a real writer."
There's no doubt now that she's real. Crowell, who has threatened to dye her hair green for appearances, seems in many respects a typical college student. Which makes Necessary Madness all the more startling since the book tells the tale of a 30-year-old American mother coping with the death of her husband while living in England. "I subscribe to the idea of emotional autobiography," Crowell explains. "You have to graft your emotions onto your fiction in order for it to be powerful, but at the same time go beyond your own experience."
Of course research is key, and Crowell, a dedicated Anglophile, is hard at it. For her book tour she jokingly asked if her escort could be "a cute twenty-something with a British accent."
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!