Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sharon Osbourne Taking One-Month Break from The Talk After Collapsing
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Robert De Niro Gives Blunt, Funny, Inspiring Commencement Speech to Acting School Grads
- Chris Pratt Apologizes in Advance for Potential 'JurassicGate' and Misbehaving on Press Tour
- Kris Jenner Tries to Embarrass Daughters Kourtney and Kim Kardashian with a Throwback Pic of Their Model Poses
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 09, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 22
Picks and Pans Review: Spotlight On...
TOM CRUISE, REPORTS COLUMNIST LIZ Smith, blew a gasket on the set of Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut this spring when the finicky filmmaker ordered him to do 93 takes of one scene. The shoot took so long that costar Harvey Keitel ran into a scheduling conflict and quit, wasting six months of work. If only Cruise and Keitel had read Vincent LoBrutto's Stanley Kubrick: A Biography, they'd have been ready. LoBrutto reports that among the teeth-grinding moments inspired by Kubrick during more than 45 years in pursuit of the vision thing were:
•For a close-up of Scatman Crothers in 1980's The Shining, Kubrick shot some 130 takes one day—and didn't print any of them.
•A shot of Jack Nicholson and two costars crossing the street in The Shining took 87 takes.
•When Malcolm McDowell complained that shooting the eye-popping brainwash scene in 1971's A Clockwork Orange had scratched his cornea and temporarily blinded him in one eye, Kubrick replied, "Let's go on with the scene. I'll favor your other eye."
•Actor Patrick Magee of Barry Lyndon (1975) said, "The catch words on the set are, 'Do it faster, do it slower, do it again.' Mostly 'Do it again.' "
•Cameraman Douglas Milsome (1987's Full Metal Jacket) said with awe, "[Stanley] gives a new meaning to the word meticulous."
- Kim Hubbard,
- Mark Donovan,
- Paula Chin,
- Alex Tresniowski,
- V.R. Peterson,
- Francine Prose,
- Pam Lambert,
- Kyle Smith.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!