- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan and More Invited to Join Academy in Largest, Most Diverse Class Yet
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Newly Single Ariel Winter Shares Naked Bathtub Photo: 'Relax Everyone I'm Wearing Lady Bit Pasties'
- Human Body Parts Wash Ashore Rio Beach Near Olympic Volleyball Site
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- July 21, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 3
The Doublemint Twins Retain a Sweet Tooth for Fun
Their bubble burst in 1963, however, when Joan, who had wed an insurance broker, became pregnant. That, she says, automatically voided their contract (a detail Wrigley is unable to confirm). Suddenly "it was over," says Joan, who had two more daughters before divorcing in 1982. Adds Jayne, who married in 1963 and had three children: "We went right from 'double your pleasure' to changing diapers."
Within five years both women had become heavy drinkers. "It was like a death," recalls Jayne, 59, of the period following the dismissal. They've been sober for 20 years and are so health-obsessed they don't even chew gum. Once inseparable, they now lead different lives: Joan is a receptionist in Chicago, while Jayne, a homemaker, shares a house in Beverly Hills with her husband of 34 years, TV producer Al Schwartz, 65. But the women talk by phone several times a week. And they retain the sunniness that made them famous. "They're both like Lucille Ball," says Jill Schwartz, 31, Jayne's daughter. "They're a party waiting to happen."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!