Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Arrest Made in Disappearance of Ohio 20-Year-Old Sierah Joughin, Though She Has Not Been Found
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Rupert Murdoch's Ex-Wife Wendi Deng Denies Rumors She's Dating Vladimir Putin
- Lindsay Davenport: Why the Atlanta Olympics Were So Special to Me and My Family
- WATCH: IKEA'S Annual Catalog Now Has Its Own Theatrical Trailer
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 04, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 5
Keith Hippely's Mars Sojourner Toy Skyrockets Toward Sales Heaven
The California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which developed the spacecraft, insisted that the only licensed Sojourner toy "be very accurate," says Joan Horvath, the lab's business alliance manager, who came up with the idea for a Mars mission toy. Working from blueprints, Hippely and his team also consulted the project's engineers. "The most fun thing was going down to their lab, where the spacecraft was being assembled," he reports. "We got to dress up in those white suits." Although deadlines prevented the team from seeing the finished spacecraft ("Some things we just had to guess at," he says), Hippely is proudest of getting the rover's "rocker-bogie" six-wheel suspension right. "The wheels move up and down," he says. "You can go over rough terrain like the real thing."
If you can find the toy. The lab's employee shop received 1,500: "They were gone in 20 minutes," says Horvath. A Mattel source says the company hopes to ship "hundreds of thousands" by next week. Hippely thinks the wait is worth it. "We were able to put more working features in than we normally do in a Hot Wheels," he says. How come? Says Hippely: "I got lucky."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!