Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Yes, You Have to Take a Moment and Check Out Steven Tyler's Pants
- The Style Top 5: Gisele Bündchen Says Goodbye to the Runway,
New Ways to Use Food In Your Beauty Routine, and More
- Miranda Lambert Looks Sexier Than Ever at the ACM Awards
- Bruce Jenner: 'I Can't Let Myself Hurt' My Family
- Christina Aguilera: 'I Surrender to What the Universe Has to Bring Me'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 04, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 5
Making Her Day
A Tolltaker with a Big Heart Gives a Bride in Distress Ten for the Road
Walter Jeffries was just kidding, but McCombs, 26, was too rattled to notice. "I just lost it," she recalls. "I was sobbing." Startled, Jeffries, 66, a former tavern owner who has worked the Union Plaza tollbooth since 1991, asked what was wrong. When McCombs told him, he reached into his wallet and pulled out a $10 bill. "Take this," he said, "and go."
That small gesture not only bailed out McCombs, it sent her off to a "perfect" wedding to press operator Kent Parnau, 32. "I felt better immediately," says McCombs, a sales assistant at an L.A. printing company. "I felt at peace." Jeffries says he was only treating her as he would his two grown daughters, and Jeffries's boss, Jocelyn Rodenbeck-Honan, reveals a fact that suggests Heather might someday consider a second trip through New Jersey: Other tolltakers have helped deliver babies.
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!