Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Beyoncé Feasts on Pizza and Gelato in Italy (PHOTOS)
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Cleveland Kidnapping Survivors Receive Honorary Diploma: 'There Were Lots of Tears'
- Son of Barney Creator Faces 15 Years in Prison for Shooting His Neighbor During Argument
- San Andreas Costar on the Rock: 'He Took Me Under His Massive Wing'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 10, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 19
A Jarring Experience
Ann Turner Cook, Now 70, Is Still the One and Only Gerber Baby
"My career peaked before I could even remember," says Cook, a retired high school English teacher and grandmother of 10 who lives in Tampa, Fla., with her husband, Jim, 71, a former prison officer. The daughter of a cartoonist and a homemaker, she was a baby when Westport, Conn., infant portraitist Dorothy Hope Smith, a family friend, used her as a model in 1927. Two years later, when the fledgling Gerber was seeking a symbol, Smith submitted Cook's charcoal likeness, the face that launched millions of jars—actually, tin cans at first—of pureed prunes, peas and carrots. "The drawing," says Gerber's CEO Al Piergallini, "had universal appeal."
The significance of her Gerber gig, for which she received a belated $7,500 payment when she was 25 years old, didn't strike Cook until she had four kids of her own. "We'd go down the baby food aisle," she says. "They would stop people and say, 'My mother's picture is on those bottles.' I'd just smile politely and go on and let them think whatever they wanted to think." Indeed, Cook has been usually discreet about her achievement—because her students would rib her. But age has brought perspective. "It is," she says, "my immortality."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!