Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- HERstory! Hillary Clinton Accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination: 'When There Are No Ceilings, the Sky's the Limit'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- All About Katy Perry's Glittery Democratic Convention Performance Look
- Chelsea Clinton Introduces Mom Hillary as She Accepts Democratic Nomination: 'She Makes Me Proud Every Single Day'
- Chloë Grace Moretz Addresses Crowd at DNC: 'My First Vote For President Will be For Hillary Clinton'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 24, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 21
Good as Gold
After 75 Years, Isadore and Sarah Rosenthal Are Bound Together by Love and a Well-Traveled Ring
And so, it seems, is the simple gold band that he slipped onto his bride's finger on their wedding day, Nov. 5, 1922. Since then the ring, originally his mother's, has been loaned out for the nuptials of 15 relatives—children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews—with impressive results. Not one of the marriages has ended in divorce.
The Rosenthals met in Washington in 1918, when Isadore was 18 and Sarah Seigel only 14. Three years later, Isadore proposed on bended knee. Over the years he worked as a Navy engineer and a real estate manager, while Sarah was a homemaker. Their two children—Bette, 73, who recently celebrated her 50th anniversary, and Helen, 68, who is coming up on her 49th—agree that their parents' devotion to each other, not the ring, inspired the family's uninterrupted reign of matrimonial harmony.
Yet the Rosenthals' 14 great-grandchildren look forward, as their parents did, to using that ring. "It'll be passed down from generation to generation," says Bette's husband, David Gordin, 76, "because they know the kind of lives these two people have led, and they hope to have the same."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!