Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,172 covers and 54,888 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Which Walking Dead Hottie Is Speaking Out for Pit Bulls?
- The Best Photos from the Week of Jan. 19- Jan. 25, 2015
- Three College Students Die in India After 'Train Selfie' Attempt
- Can a Computer Judge You Better Than a Human Can? A New Study Says Yes
- Cressida Bonas: From Prince Harry's Flame to Hollywood 'It Girl'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Wednesday January 28, 2015 05:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 29, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 26
Out and About, She's Reshaping TV's Take on Sexual Identity
Although advertisers Chrysler and Wendy's avoided the episode and the Rev. Jerry Falwell exhorted his flock to boycott the show's sponsors, Ellen was praised by Vice President Al Gore for its clear-eyed take on sexual orientation. Ratings are up 15 percent over last year, and gay groups applaud Ellen's progress. Says Chastity Bono, a spokeswoman for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation: "I wish we had a show like this when I was a kid."
For better or worse, the spotlight also focused on DeGeneres's private life with her live-in lover, actress Anne Heche (Volcano), whom DeGeneres calls "the most perfect, special, intelligent, strong, straightforward person I've ever met." Still, says DeGeneres, "anything we do is controversial, and I look forward to the day that it's not." But a rough ride, including a recent battle with the network over slapping a parental advisory on her show, doesn't dissuade the comedian. "It's like a rodeo," she says. "You hold on as long as you can and hope the clown distracts the bull."
January 28, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!