Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Confession Time: Joe Jonas Comes Clean About the Elevator Prank with Demi Lovato
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- KT Tunstall on How Her Dad's Death Led to Her Divorce and Finding Love Again: 'It Shocked Me into Changing My Life'
- Chris Benz Curates a Furniture Sale and Shares His Method for Finding Vintage Treasure (Without Regrets)
- WATCH: KT Tunstall Reveals the Legacy of Her Hit 'Suddenly I See'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 29, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 26
Out and About, She's Reshaping TV's Take on Sexual Identity
Although advertisers Chrysler and Wendy's avoided the episode and the Rev. Jerry Falwell exhorted his flock to boycott the show's sponsors, Ellen was praised by Vice President Al Gore for its clear-eyed take on sexual orientation. Ratings are up 15 percent over last year, and gay groups applaud Ellen's progress. Says Chastity Bono, a spokeswoman for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation: "I wish we had a show like this when I was a kid."
For better or worse, the spotlight also focused on DeGeneres's private life with her live-in lover, actress Anne Heche (Volcano), whom DeGeneres calls "the most perfect, special, intelligent, strong, straightforward person I've ever met." Still, says DeGeneres, "anything we do is controversial, and I look forward to the day that it's not." But a rough ride, including a recent battle with the network over slapping a parental advisory on her show, doesn't dissuade the comedian. "It's like a rodeo," she says. "You hold on as long as you can and hope the clown distracts the bull."
September 24, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!