Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 10 of Princess Diana's Best-Remembered PEOPLE Covers
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- The Biggest Celeb Real Estate News of the Month: Bernie Buys Big, Hugh Hefner Sells and More!
- Leslie Jones Lost 40 Lbs. This Year with Kate McKinnon's Help: 'She Would Make Me Walk to Dinner!'
- Mel Brooks Opens Up About the Death of His Dear Friend Gene Wilder: 'I'm Still Reeling'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 29, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 26
A Basketball Star Controls the Dribble at Home and on the Hardwood
One of the league's marquee players, Swoopes had lost all but five of the 47 pounds she stepped onto the court to a standing O from the Houston Comet fans. Within a week, the 6' forward was scoring in bunches, helping carry her team to the league championship. "The fact that she even attempted a comeback after having a baby is a testament to the kind of athlete she is," says WNBA commissioner Val Ackerman, "She has broken new ground for women's basketball."
Settling into parenthood in Lubbock, Texas, with husband Eric Jackson, 23, who quit school to look after their son, Swoopes is already looking forward to next season. "I'll be the old Sheryl, back to my playing weight," she says. "I want to show people, 'This is what you missed.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!