Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,177 covers and 55,100 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Get a Glimpse of Gisele Bündchen's Wedding Dress in This Sweet Throwback Photo
- Read the Cover Story: Meet Kelly Clarkson's Baby Girl!
- Kanye Shows His Softer Side by Apologizing to Beck, Crying on Camera
- Obama Meets with Trayvon Martin's Parents at White House on Third Anniversary of Their Son's Shooting
- Designer Nate Berkus 'Can't Wait to Be a Family of 3!'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 29, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 26
A Kiwi Actress Breaks the Action-Hero Mold
Now in her third season playing Xena, the 5'11" Lawless is still trying to understand the phenomenon. "I wasn't in need of a female role model," says the daughter of a former mayor and a homemaker, "so it really shocked me that people were looking for me to be one for them." Although she took time to do a turn on Broadway as Rizzo in Grease!, Lawless is happily committed to playing the mythological gladiatrix until 2000. For one thing, Xena is filmed just a short ride from the Auckland home that she shares on weekends with Daisy, 9, her daughter by ex-husband, bar manager Garth Lawless. (He takes care of Daisy on weekdays.) For another, Lawless plans to marry the show's executive producer, Rob Tapert, 42, next year.
"Lucy has a natural intelligence and wit," says Tapert. "That creates an element of intrigue." Maybe, but sometimes fame's a drag. "I can be 'on' for about two hours," says Lawless, "then I have to do something real—like clean the grouting."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!