Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Man in Army Fatigues Arrested in Pennsylvania Theater Allegedly Had Stolen Gun, Ammunition and Respirator
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- JoJo Drops Wiz Khalifa Collab, Announces First Album Since Label Lawsuit: 'I Never Left' – But 'I Didn't Own My Voice' for 7 Years
- Tennessee Dad Drowns While Trying to Save Daughters from Rip Current – How to Stay Safe in the Ocean This Summer
- The Real Story Behind Miss Cleo: How a Junior TV Reporter Blew the Lid Off Her Psychic Scandal
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 29, 1997
- Vol. 48
- No. 26
A Kiwi Actress Breaks the Action-Hero Mold
Now in her third season playing Xena, the 5'11" Lawless is still trying to understand the phenomenon. "I wasn't in need of a female role model," says the daughter of a former mayor and a homemaker, "so it really shocked me that people were looking for me to be one for them." Although she took time to do a turn on Broadway as Rizzo in Grease!, Lawless is happily committed to playing the mythological gladiatrix until 2000. For one thing, Xena is filmed just a short ride from the Auckland home that she shares on weekends with Daisy, 9, her daughter by ex-husband, bar manager Garth Lawless. (He takes care of Daisy on weekdays.) For another, Lawless plans to marry the show's executive producer, Rob Tapert, 42, next year.
"Lucy has a natural intelligence and wit," says Tapert. "That creates an element of intrigue." Maybe, but sometimes fame's a drag. "I can be 'on' for about two hours," says Lawless, "then I have to do something real—like clean the grouting."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!