Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Bachelor's Sean Lowe Responds to Celebrity Wife Swap Backlash
- Read the Cover Story: The Bachelorette's Kaitlyn and Shawn 'It Was Love At First Sight!'
- Want to Live like Royalty? Ex-Greek King's Former London Mansion Is for Sale – and His Godson Prince William Used to Party There!
- Rebecca Ferguson Was Where When She Found Out She'd Be Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible Costar?
- Fruit for Thought: Lo Bosworth Shares Her Go-To Healthy Smoothie Ingredients
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 12, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 1
Paget Brewster Strains a Beautiful Friends-Ship
He wasn't joking. To Brewster's surprise, she landed the role of Kathy, an alluring medical research assistant who becomes Matt LeBlanc's girlfriend before falling for Perry It's a plot twist that probably won't be untangled until her last episode Jan. 22. Brewster, 28, will miss her supportive costars and they, no doubt, will miss her. "Paget's great," says Lisa Kudrow, who plays Phoebe. "There's this confidence about her." A development deal will do that. In 1996, Brewster signed with Fox and is now set to star in a sitcom that actress-writer Carrie Fisher is creating just for her and which they hope will air this fall. Says Fisher: "Paget's annoyingly pretty, bright and funny."
But growing up in Concord, Mass., Brewster was only annoyingly dorky. Although her parents—Galen and Hathaway—taught at the prestigious Middlesex School, she preferred to enroll at the all-girl Masters School in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. "I was a nerd," says Brewster, "which is okay if there are no boys around." Moving to Manhattan at 18, she enrolled at the Parsons School of Design and sang for a few rock bands before moving to San Francisco to study acting. The next year, she learned to drive, broke up with her boyfriend (she's currently not dating anyone) and moved into a modest apartment in L.A.—the better not to tempt fate. "I'm so convinced this is all going to evaporate," she says.
That would certainly bum out her father, who now runs a day school in Scottsdale, Ariz. Since Brewster's role on Friends, Galen says, "instead of being the old headmaster, now I'm the cool old headmaster."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!