Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Josh Duhamel Shares Sweet Birthday Message to Fergie
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- New York Jets Help High Schooler Ask Boy to Prom (VIDEO)
- Amanda Knox Speaks After Murder Conviction Overturned: 'I'm So Grateful to Have My Life Back'
- Kourtney Kardashian Posts Flashback Photo of the Night She Met Scott Disick
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 12, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 1
Lillian Disney Was Walt's Real-Life Love
Credit Lillian Disney—who died at 98 on December 16 in Los Angeles—with sharp but not flawless instincts. When Walt started planning his theme park, she made another face. Amusement parks, she said, "are dirty, and the people are nasty." She would come to love Disneyland, where the couple kept an apartment over the fire station on Main Street, a far cry from the Nez Perce Indian Reservation in Idaho where Lillian Bounds was raised, the youngest of 10 children of a federal marshal and his homemaker wife. Moving to L.A. in 1923, she was a $15-a-week film-frame inker at the fledgling Disney Studio when her independent spirit caught the founder's attention. They wed in 1925, raised two daughters, Diane and Sharon (who died of cancer in 1993), and for 41 years she was his primary sounding board. After Walt's death from lung cancer in 1966, she married John Truyens, a real estate developer who died in 1981. But Lillian remained devoted to Walt's memory, helping to found the California Institute of the Arts (a training ground for many Disney animators) and donating $50 million for an L.A. concert hall to be built in his name. "We shared a wonderful, exciting life," she once said, "and we loved every minute of it."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!