Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Octavia Spencer and More React to South Carolina Elementary School Shooting that Left Three People Injured
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- FROM Fortune: How America's Next Top Model Made Tyra Banks a Better Businesswoman
- WATCH: Donald Trump Calls Then-Pregnant Kim Kardashian West 'a Bit Large' in Newly Resurfaced Video
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Are 'Not in a Healthy Place,' Says Source, as Filming 'Causes Them to Fight Even More'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 12, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 1
Lillian Disney Was Walt's Real-Life Love
Credit Lillian Disney—who died at 98 on December 16 in Los Angeles—with sharp but not flawless instincts. When Walt started planning his theme park, she made another face. Amusement parks, she said, "are dirty, and the people are nasty." She would come to love Disneyland, where the couple kept an apartment over the fire station on Main Street, a far cry from the Nez Perce Indian Reservation in Idaho where Lillian Bounds was raised, the youngest of 10 children of a federal marshal and his homemaker wife. Moving to L.A. in 1923, she was a $15-a-week film-frame inker at the fledgling Disney Studio when her independent spirit caught the founder's attention. They wed in 1925, raised two daughters, Diane and Sharon (who died of cancer in 1993), and for 41 years she was his primary sounding board. After Walt's death from lung cancer in 1966, she married John Truyens, a real estate developer who died in 1981. But Lillian remained devoted to Walt's memory, helping to found the California Institute of the Arts (a training ground for many Disney animators) and donating $50 million for an L.A. concert hall to be built in his name. "We shared a wonderful, exciting life," she once said, "and we loved every minute of it."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!